There and back again

So, "aloha" as they say here... too often, methinks, but I guess it's their "thing". I like "mahalo", which simply means "thank you", but better, and find myself using that absent-mindedly. Aloha just seems so... I don't know, artificial. Like they're doing it on purpose to remind you you're in Hawaii.

(Random note: Happiness is spending an entire day naked.)

So, yesterday I celebrated my birthday by hiking 10 miles. Bear in mind this is in 85-90 degree, 90% humidity conditions with a lot of up-and-down-hills and a full backpack (tripod, water bottles, towel, water shoes, etc.). It was a lot of fun, but definitely work.

I went on three trails. The first is actually a little ways down the Hana highway in the north-east; it's a pretty popular trail called "Twin Falls". It's officially on private properpty, but the folks set up a fruit-and-donations stand at the trail head and are willing to let people go so long as you don't trash anything. The trail splits about a mile in, with about a half-mile either way to the two falls.

The second was a short thing in the Iao Valley to the "needle", which is this huge lava "spire" that's still standing in the old volcano. It's basically in the center of the western volcano, but it's so eroded the floor's not too high above sea level. However, lots of stairs as you hike around to the vantage point. Probably a mile or so round-trip.

By the time I got to the third one, it was about 2:30 p.m. This one, the Waihe'e Valley "swinging bridges" trail, is also on private land. The company that owns it also set up a booth and such at the trail head, but they close the parking at 5 pm (and tow everyone out). So, as I pull up, the lady manning the booth says, "You're about a half-hour late; most people take 3 hours for the 4-mile round trip. You think you can make it?"

I smirked a little and said, "I've done 6 miles already today - don't worry, I'll make it." So, she let me in, I paid the dues, and hiked the mostly-uphill trail along the river back to the dam and swimming spot at the end. Well, sortof at the end - the end of the valley is actually the Wall of Tears, and it's only possible to reach there by helicopter, really. (Note: both of those pictures were taken on my helicopter trip last year.)

Well, I got back to the damn in 45 minutes, spent about 15 minutes there taking pictures and relaxing, then hiked back out in another 45. As I was driving out, the lady at the booth just shook her head and smiled. "You're nuts." "Yep." We then chatted a little, she pointing out that I'd hiked 10 miles that day, and mentioning she'd paddled 15 miles over the weekend (which is an amazing feat).

Anyway, I'd intended to hit a few more trails, but by then 1) I was out of water 2) it was bloody hot and 3) I was fucked. So, I came back to the resort and relaxed.

Today, I was intending to go out and finish the hikes I wanted to take since my Hana trip got cancelled - but as I was getting ready to leave, the hiking company called and said they had enough people to go tomorrow. so, rather than push myself with 5 more miles today and another 5 tomorrow, I thought I'd just take it easy today.

Oddly enough, it's not my legs that are sore (though my calves are a little tight), it's my shoulders from the backpack. Oh well.

Still working on the pictures - most of the HDRs didn't really come out, but I've got plenty of normal shots.

Anyway, back to the deck for more sunbathing and hot tub time. Gotta relax these muscles for tomorrow morning. Aloha!

0 comments:

Post a Comment