It's dangerous to go alone

So, I've been in my new place officially over a week.

I like it so far. I'm taking advantage of the weight room daily, and I love having my own place to do my own stuff. Even having a roommate isn't horrible; he's being very good about the "it's my place/I call the shots" attitude I have. Heck, I'm even running around most of the time in the nude and he hasn't batted an eye (but then, I told him about that before he moved in, and we've gone on trips together so he knew my propensities before).

I am looking forward to when he moves out, though, even though I know that's not until January. I'll stick with the original commitment just because I made it and I know he needs the time to get his financial house in order, but this is definitely not going to be a long-term roommate situation. I'm actually hoping he manages to get himself together faster and can therefore move out early.

The consulting company wants me to keep working until October. I said we'll make it through middle of August and see how it's going. Frankly, I'm burning out on it. It's great money, don't get me wrong, but it's a lot of work/hassle when I'd just like to relax. Having two jobs is tiring, no matter how much money you make.

The new place helps with that a bit, though. Since I'm not driving as far, I get more "down time". Also, with the gym downstairs and even room to spread out my bench and free weights, I'm burning through some of the stress in workouts. I don't know that there's a lot of difference yet, and I don't expect there to be, but I certainly -feel- a fair bit better. I'm also eating healthier, as I've got a fridge and my own kitchen. Haven't really started cooking much, but I can get the kinds of things I like - which tend more towards "snacks" than "meals" anyway, things like pita and hummus or small salads or such.

I'm also trying to adapt myself to the whole "if you can't carry it, don't get it" mentality of grocery shopping, since I'm usually walking to/from one of the nearby grocery stores. Which also means more exercise, more fresh air, etc. The weather's also been cooperating, as I've only had the A/C running two days out of 10.

Haven't really unpacked much, but also haven't really furnished the place. I don't want to set anythign up in the living room until I get an area rug, and I think I know what I want but there are logistics issues (such as making sure someone's home to receive it). For the bedroom, most of my clothes are hang-up-able; what's not is in the "sto-away" beneath my mattress, so I don't really need a dresser.

I haven't even bought a desk for my desktop - but that's a different thing. I've actually decided to do something I've wanted to do for a while: build a kind of lounge chair/console for my home computer. The chair gets delivered tomorrow; its frame is 2" steel pipe, so I can mount things to it pretty easily. I have a rough idea of where I want to go with it, but I'll know more when it arrives.

Anyway, that's the drive-by for the day. Maybe interesting things will start happening and I'll have something to post about.

5 comments:

the island guy said...

You have a whirlwind of ideas on how to brilliantly decorate your new place :)

Austin said...

Well, I dunno about that... I've gone some basic ideas. It's not like I haven't had months (if not years) to think about this :)

naturgesetz said...

It all sounds good. There's no need to rush things getting furniture. You've got plenty of time. And being able to be nude around the place without upsetting the roommate is a bonus.

david said...

if you cant carry it, dont get it...

story of my life.. however, somethings cant be delivered and rarely is anything at costco small enough to bring home on my bike... its about a 10 mile round trip with major steep (seriously.. steep!) hills.. and evil traffic douche bags everywhere.. its a fools errand to be sure.. a fail! adventure negotiating all the craptastic drivers and hills on my bike with a 50-roll pac of toilet paper in my bike bag... the gay bike basket was just too faggy and it had to go..

~ cheers...

Austin said...

david: I think you ought to do that and have someone film it. Just once :) But yeah, I think Costco is one of the places that will be exempt from the carry rule. As are most furniture stores.

On other updates, I now have a cool wall unit (which is already full of books with 8 boxes still left to unpack) and a rice cooker. I think I'm actually more excited about the rice cooker: it has a timer, so I can set it before leaving for work in the morning. Which is especially good, since I prefer brown rice and that stuff takes for -ever- to cook.

Post a Comment