Up with which we will not put

Another week done and over with.

(Random thought: My head just automatically spun that into, "Another week with which we are done and over." I think I've been spending too much time editing documents.)

(Random thought 2: The real question is this: how many people would even recognize that the original phrase is, in fact, grammatically incorrect? It's at times like these that I wonder where rationality ends and irrationality begins.)

I seem to expect a lot of people - at least in the opinions of those people, anyway. I suppose that really isn't fair, but it's also instinctive. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that, while I know I'm an odd duck in many ways, I always assume that everyone I meet is at least as capable as I am in general areas. I mean, for the most part, I have no special training or advanced knowledge in anything; I just read a lot. Everything I know is out there and readily available to everyone else.

And even though it happens a lot, it's always a bit of a shock - always - when people fail to grasp something that to me seems just an extension of existing concepts. It's like, the whole world knows how to count to 12, but if you point out to someone that they can just add one more and get 13, that person looks at you like you're the second coming of Aleister Crowley.

It's even more jarring when they're highly educated. I mean, I know that a lack of education doesn't correlate to a lack of intelligence - I like to think I'm living proof. But it would seem to be more plausible that the presence of education - especially advanced degrees - should imply at least moderate capability if not brilliance. It's easy to be intelligent and skip school (some might argue that it's imperative), but it's hard to imagine defending a thesis without having above-average intelligence.

Alas, such seems to not be the case. I am, on a day-to-day basis, surrounded by people spewing diagnoses, chemical formulae, and treatment options the way TMZ discusses marital affairs, and yet these same folks get the deer-in-the-headlights look if I mention basic concepts. Like, "hey, you've got all these documents - why don't you put them in a database so you know what you have?" Or basic marketing concepts like convincing someone they have a need and that your product is the best one to fill it. Or being up information theory to statisticians, or psychology to administrative staff, or economics to social workers.

Seriously - do most people never venture out of their chosen field at all? A lot of this is stuff I've never even had an active interest in; you just pick things up as you bounce through life. How can someone work professionally for 40 years and not have an entry-level understanding of marketing?

Anyway, it's been entertaining at least. And I got my first paycheck at the new company, so yay for that.

No movies to see this weekend - at least, nothing I really want to see. I even dug through all the art theatres looking for something interesting. Instead, I'm watching a few gay movies online - thanks for the suggestions btw - and just chilling. We saw "The Green Hornet" last week, which was just as silly and campy and entertaining as I thought it'd be.

I've also been watching season 1 of Glee, and while I have to skip a few things - some of the "drama" is too over-the-top, even for me - overall it's cute. Well, cutesy, but still cute.

I'm not sure why I'm watching all these shows suddenly, other than the vague notion that this is how I get my "gay" on and that, for some reason, I'm feeling the need to do so. Maybe I'll get a little flashy this weekend when I go out, draw some attention.

Anyway, I suppose that's it for now. I think I'm off to read a book - short stories by Saki. There's nothing like a Clovis rant to bring out the giggles.

7 comments:

GayHermit said...

The issue you are addressing regarding highly educated people is unfortunately quite common.
Part of the problem can be boiled down to book learning vs. common sense. It is much more common for a person to have one or the other, but not both.
The other has to do with the nature of higher education. That can be boiled down to the initials used for the science type degrees. B.S. (Bull Sh*t) M.S. (More Sh*t) Ph.D. (Piled Higher and Deeper) {The colorful desriptions do also apply to Arts degrees, but I haven't figured out/heard a colorful reference like this for them.} Describing this in a non-boiled down way, (which is probably redundant as you have probably already gotten/figured the info out), as a person moves through their higher education program, they are generally required to focus more and more on their area of specialty. Keeping the rest of their knowledge base up to the same levels is usually not actively encouraged. {For example, general education classes are not required at the Masters level and beyond.} (It is even beyond some peoples abilities to do so.)
A lot of people, regardless of their education levels, don't venture out beyond what they already know. There are a lot of reasons why. I personally don't understand that mindset either, but I like learning stuff. (This explains why I have enough credit hours to qualify for a Masters Degree Plus, but only have a Bachelors.)
Look at it this way, if you enjoy being able to suprise people, your accumulation of knowledge just helps that along! ;-)
This post is one example of why I like, (am frustrated by), reading your blog. The level of intelligence and the wide range of references are always interesting and challenging. (Example of the frustration is having to look up who the hell Saki was at Barnes & Noble. Since I read a lot of SciFi/Fantasy, I am not sure I will add this book to my list, but who knows. It could be fun when I run out of stuff to read again.)
Good to hear that your life is going better for you now.
(Sorry about all the parenthesis, but I seem to have a hard time replying without them. Probably due to all my aside yet, supposedly, relevant thoughts.)

Austin said...

GayHermit,

Most of what I read is actually scifi/fantasy, but I do like certain kinds of humor - Douglas Adams, Scott Adams, Terry Pratchett... and Saki. Saki's almost all short stories, but they have that concise, dry British wit that I really dig.

The rest - yes, it's mostly just frustrating. One can know all the technical, psychological, social, and intellectual reasons behind it and still get annoyed when one stubs one's toe against that wall.

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, Austin

Long time, no comment :-(
Entirely my fault, I'm afraid - I'll try to do better from now on.

I'm guessing (from what you don't say) that the new job is generally going well, even if the people are frustratingly blinkered at times. I think this tends to happen with large organisations in particular, that the people in them get settled into neat little pigeonholes, and stop thinking beyond what they need to in order to do their jobs. Intelligence does not always imply curiosity, alas.

Meanwhile, the grammar pedant in me is surprised that you consider a preposition at the end of a phrase to be ungrammatical. As far as I can see, there is at least as much historical precedent for the preposition at the end as there is for the (more clumsy?) "preposition + which" construction. My suspicion is that this "rule" of English grammar has just as much as basis the "no split infinitive" rule - namely one grammarian's suggestion that a particular form should be avoided in some situations, for stylistic reasons only.

OK, rant over; no dry wit at all, I'm afraid. :-)

Take care

Mark

Austin said...

I don't necessarily consider prepositions improper at the end of a phrase; however, especially in technical documents, the practice can lead to a lot of confusion. Since that's what was doing that day, it was a habit out of which it was difficult to get (there I go again :P ).

Besides, blogs are conversational, not formal. I can either spend my energy editing or writing them.

Yeah, work's fine. It's actually fun, in a sense, but work is also work.

I don't know that it's pigeonholes exactly, though I've seen that other places. The incongruous part is that many of these people actively try to seek out information outside their field - they just don't seem to be very good at doing so :)

Oh well, we all have faults.

naturgesetz said...

I think it isn't a question of intelligence, it's breadth of interest and curiosity that leads some people to have wider knowledge than others.

German has something called "separable prefixes" on verbs. In some grammatical constructions they are at the beginning of the verb, but in others, they are separated from the verb and show up at the end of a sentence. For example the verb mitnehmen, meaning take along (literally, take with). One says, "Ich werde das Koffer mitnehmen," meaning "I'm going to take/bring the suitcase along (= with [me])." But go from the infinitive to the indicative and you get "Ich nehme das Koffer mit," meaning, "I'm bringing the suitcase along/with me." Well it seems to me that the prepositions at the end of sentences are kind of like permanently separated prefixes. Perhaps we should consider them adverbs. But Churchill and A Wandering Pom are right, IMO. The are not incorrect.

naturgesetz said...

And, yes, I wrote a sentence fragment, and I'm beginning this sentence with a conjunction.

And in my final sentence above, "The" should be "They."

LOL

One Observationist said...

I know what you mean with regards to education and knowledge. We used to make fun of people with MBA degrees because we wondered where they came up with their hair brained ideas. Even worse still when you're sitting in a meeting and there is very little substance to their comments. Very disturbing, maddening and comical.

As far as movies, have you seen Black Swan yet? I'm not in to ballet, but Natalie Portman did a fine job. I think it was the best acting I have seen out of her to date.

Post a Comment