Under gray skies

Today, I'm in a good mood.

I learned yesterday that I'm the only person seriously in the running for a part-time, off-hours 6-month contract position that, over the duration, should net me $30-40k on top of any other job I have. This is great, not just because of the money but because, if I do get another job somewhere, I'm not likely to be able to take time off anyway for that period (most employers make you accrue your vacation time). Even if I get laid off and don't have another job, this would pay the equivalent - even in part-time - of what I'm making now, so I could easily still be "afloat" for the duration.

It's always nice to hedge your bets.

Also, it's cold, gray, and eventually rainy. For some reason - probably because it's so rare in SoCal - I've always loved wet weather, the colder the better. We're not in snow range (though the snow line may drop down, depending on how cold it gets tonight), but it's chilly and damp. This is hot chocolate in front of the fireplace with a good book weather.

This weekend, we're seeing then new Harry Potter movie, of course. I actually bought the tickets a month ago - and not because I'm looking forward to it. I'm really not. I'm not just excited about the series; somehow, it always seemed, I don't know, silly. And not legitimately silly, like Terry Pratchett. I mean silly like sparkling-vampires silly.

I'm probably going to get a few avada kadavera curses hurled my way because of that statement.

Anyway, the only movie I'm really looking forward to this year is Tron: Legacy, but that's more of a geek-fest than anything. Actually, there's a good chance it'll end up being a decent movie, like Star Trek. Either way, though, I'll be seeing it. I just confirmed with Rex that he wants to go to the midnight showing, so that'll be fun (I actually just bought us tickets to The Tempest midnight release too).

(Random: Rex just told me he's playing more of an architect role at his company. I asked him if he's saying "ergo" a lot and steepling his fingers. His reply was that he doesn't own a white suit.)

Still wondering what I'm going to do for New Years; still thinking about Guerneville, but financial considerations are leaning away from anything, really. If I can pull a few hundred dollars out of a hat (move over, bunny), I can probably still justify it. We'll see.

Oh, and this morning, as I was getting into the car from buying bagels for the office, I noticed by odometer read exactly 80000 miles. I'm one month short of 4.5 years on the car, so that's not horrible. Especially given that I go back and forth to SF at least once a year, and that this year I also drove over 2200 miles round-trip to Portland. So, I did a little dance in the driver's seat to commemorate the occasion, then drove to work.

No one ever said "brilliant" had a high correlation to "serious", or even "sane".

1 comments:

G said...

Stay warm, amd BTW, we drove all the way to Vancouver one summer, and back. It was fun.

Post a Comment