Many paths and errands

So, a little bit more on the results of the "interview" yesterday.

I'm reasonably sure that I did beyond well - not only telling her the sorts of things she wanted to here, but also giving examples or ideas beyond what she was talking about. When an interviewer starts on a topic, sort of loses her way and you reply with something that makes her face light up and say "Exactly!", it's probably a good sign. I'm more that qualified for the position - which may actually be a negative. When an employer is looking for 5-7 years' experience and you throw 12-13 at them, it can be intimidating.

(Random note: I think the heater's not really working in here. It's 55 degrees outside, but it's probably about that inside as well.)

The "bad" news is that it's likely going to be a really extensive formal interview process, which would mean that I'll have to be taking time off from work here to make the drive for multiple interviews. That's more than a little inconvenient depending on how they schedule them, but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It also, of course, means that an offer - if I even get that far - wouldn't be made until some time in December at the earliest.

The other "bad" news - which is only potential and not actual until I see the job posting - is that the salary range for the position may be lower that I'm willing to accept. What they're looking for is definitely a senior-level employee, but we'll have to see if they're willing to compensate at that level. I mean, this is a "buyer's market", as it were, so I wouldn't be surprised if they low-ball the salary. Only time will tell.

Even if this position doesn't work out, it's gotten me off my ass to start seriously looking. Plus, you know, the office is really in the wrong direction for where I want to move, physically: it's east L.A., and I'd prefer to be on the west side. As much as I need to get out of Arvato and this job looks interesting, there are a few reasons why I wouldn't be totally upset if I don't get it. It's not like I'm in a major rush; I can afford to take my time and be thorough, even if the company lays me off today.

Regardless, it's time to send out more resumes. I've just sent one to a placement company that specializes in IT services for a lot of places here in L.A. (at least judging by the job boards). We'll see if that makes any difference. Unfortunately, the holiday season is coming up, and things tend to slow down heavily until the new year (especially here in L.A., where most of Hollywood goes out of town). I've already requested the last week of December off here, just in case - one thing I do very well is "play defense". I've also still got this potential contract position in early 2011 which will add in some income no matter where I am.

So, the future of work life isn't absolutely amazing, but it's decent. We'll see where the road goes.

1 comments:

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, Austin

"The Road goes ever on and on..." - I hope your feet are not weary. And maybe you cannot yet say whither, but the way ahead looks promising. Good luck!

Take care

Mark

Post a Comment