Seesaws

So, the guy I liked lives in Texas and, while we exchanged email and phone info, I'll probably never hear from him again. And even if I do hear from him in some casual way, I doubt we'll meet. We talked for 3 hours one night and (at least from my perspective) really hit it off; I ran into him briefly before he caught his flight Friday, and there still seemed to be some interest, but you never know.

The guy who likes me lives in L.A. and got offended enough to leave the hot tub when I tried to (as politely as I could) tell him I wasn't interested in having sex. He of course immediately took it as a "you're an old pervert" kind of thing (I believe what I actually said was, "while I appreciate the compliment, I'm not interested"). I immediately apologixed for offending him, but that didn't seem to matter - damage done.

C'est la guerre.

(Random note: the mosquitos here seem to be *attracted* to bug repellent.)

On a side note, a very nice straight couple from the military randomly picked our hotel here (which is primarily gay) to stay in. We were chatting it up a while (Mr. Offended waited until they left before getting touchy, in both senses of the term), and they seem really cool. They're car-less, so if I drive into Lahaina for the fireworks tomorrow I might take them. We'll see; they may make other plans in the interim.

One more full day in Maui, then back to California.

6 comments:

Rex said...

Why do people get so huffy we you politely say " I'm not interested." it's not like you said you hate him as a person. From some people this really is a binary universe.

Austin said...

I think it's an ego thing - as in, a fragile ego thing. I know that, in general, the gay community is *really* age-conscious. He was older - probably 40s or 50s - and also from L.A., so he probably gets dealt the "go away, grampa" card more often.

That certainly holds with how he reacted - at first, completely embarrassed/ashamed/etc, even trying to claim he "wasn't after that". Come on, you're groping my thigh and moving inwards/upwards, I doubt you're looking for the shut-off valve for the jacuzzi jets. It was after that he pulled the whole "I'm not an old pervert" routine (when I'd never said anything of the sort) and sortof stormed off even after I tried a "I'm sorry, I didn't mean any offense."

Oh well. Haven't seen him all day, likely won't before I leave. Just have to decide when I want to head over to Lahaina.

Dean Grey said...

Austin!

Maybe hot-tub guy got offended because he really is an old pervert!

At least you were nice to him about it!

-Dean

Austin said...

@Dean,

I don't know, I think he was just insecure. Oh well. Didn't see him again before I left, and likely never will again.

Doomed But Cheerful! said...

Being an older guy that has a younger boyfriend (50/20) demands that we share certain attitudes, that are based on respect, communication, and realistic expectations.

The older guy is normally required to have a lot more of these than the younger - if he doesn't, then he will be destined to disappointment.

If you were polite to your companion, then nobody can make any negative observations here.

The only behaviour that I find inexcusable in a jacuzzi is taking in one's laundry!

Have a wonderful day G =]

david said...

i guess no one told you...
bug repellent is like heroin for mosquitos.... like junkies looking for a fix, they are relentless...
the bigger the blood suckers, the more they crave it....
i swear to god in the sierras nevada mts, in summer, (skunk cabbage meadows) the mosquitos are as big as birds... mean birds.. tippi hedren birds...

cheers... david

Post a Comment