Drawings and photos

Sometimes, it's necessary to try and explain to people how the world looks to me: how I see it, how I interact with it. Why I can get lost for hours staring at the sand.

Part of it is the difference between a drawing and a photograph.

When you draw, you take a blank piece of paper and fill it. You usually start with whatever your focus is - the thing your drawing - and add in whatever details or surroundings you think are appropriate. Nothing goes on the paper that you didn't intend, that first wasn't in your head.

When you take a photograph of an object, it's different. Either you take the picture in whatever environment it occupies, or you place it in some setting. However, while you can somewhat control the context of the photo, you can't completely do so: often times, you simply have to deal with what's there. Good photography is about the way the subject interacts with the environment as much as it's about the subject itself.

That's an important difference: in drawings, you're adding context, but in photos you're subtracting or filtering it.

Most people, in their minds, are drawing. If you ask them to consider something - say, a tree - they first wipe everything out, then place the tree on the blank space of their minds. They may add some context as they see fit, but only as they see fit. They also don't generally realize they're doing it, or that there are other methods. It's a phantom negation - a "ghost not", as Alan Carter calls it - that takes place on a level before they think they're thinking.

I have trouble thinking of something outside of context. That first step - wiping the slate clean - I can only perform with conscious effort, and even then it's difficult. I can do mental abstraction with concepts, but only by using multiple contexts, not by eliminating all context: rather than thinking of an isolated "tree" on an empty set, I think of trees in various settings - parks, beaches, yards, conservatories, whatever - and kind of "overlay" them to find the commonalities. It's an average, rather than a true abstraction.

Another example that happens a lot: most people look at a bunch of people moving through, say, a crowded club and tend to focus on individuals. I see a the same bunch of people and see the crowd, as a single dynamic entity. I can plot interactions, projections on where individuals will move and how they'll interact - but ask me to focus on a single person, and I'll often lose the thread unless I can keep it in the context of the whole.

I can't stare at the stars without knowing that the sky isn't flat, that space isn't a black slate but is instead nearly infinite depth. The moon, in my eyes, is a sphere, not a circle. It isn't a perspective I have to bring to mind, it's my normal perspective and always has been.

I know I'm not the only one who does this - it's a level of observation that, while not held by the majority, is certainly semi-common. I am, however, one of the few people I know who do it natively and the only person I know who can't "turn it off", so to speak. It's like wearing polarized sun glasses: while you can see things others don't, some things are also obscured that others see clearly.

One end result is that I have a higher awareness of (and value in) reality but almost no purely creative capability (anything I try to manufacture in my mind has to be created with complete context, and that's extremely difficult; as a result, I tend to adapt more than create). Another is that I end up having some very strange conversations with people because I start at the top level and filter down, whereas tend to start at the lowest level and build up. Eventually we meet in the middle, but rarely with the same understanding.

4 comments:

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, Austin

Very interesting - like almost everything you write. It's making me think about how I think in this area. As usual, I'll leave it for my subconscious to chew over, but I'll try to report back if and when I have some answers.

A couple of initial thoughts:
- Can you ever achieve a complete context for anything, given that everything is related to everything else, however indirectly? If not, how do you set limits on what is enough context in a given situation?
- Your native perspective on space, the moon etc.: surely this could only have come after you had learnt about the nature of space and celestial objects? Otherwise I would have thought that the night sky looks very much like a spherical black canvas with stars attached, and a few objects moving around in front of it - as witness the thousands of years of pre-scientific knowledge of astronomy.

Take care

Mark

Austin said...

1) You can get a complete context, for n levels of "complete". True, the only complete context is the entire universe. I never assume I have it all, but I generally have more than most people. Since we're talking about general perception, immediate/practical context is usually more than enough, and that's what I tend to see.

2) You know, it's funny. My mother swear she never told me the truth about Santa Claus, yet she cannot remember a moment in my youth when I believed he existed. She says that at a very young age, she knew I was "humoring" my older sister, who did believe.

So, I can't tell you what it was like before I learned about the planets. I don't remember; it's possible that, by the time I really started looking out, I already knew from television or some other source that it was out not up. Or I may simply not remember. I know that I had, on my wall, a cheap poster of the hemispheres of the moon by the time I was 4 or so - my grandfather was an engineer and built at least one device that is (to my knowledge) still on the moon, and while he died before I was born, he left behind things (like the poster) that my father gave to me.

It's also possible I learned it from my sister, who loved to spend time "teaching" her younger brother what she was learning in class. That meant that, for example, I walked into kindergarten with my multiplication tables memorized.

Even as individuals, we're not born into vacuums - we have our own context, our own histories.

TwoLives said...

Fascinating. Ideas to chew on, as Wandering Pom says.

Regarding a crowded club: "ask me to focus on a single person, and I'll often lose the thread unless I can keep it in the context of the whole." I don't understand. Specifically, I don't understand what you mean by 'lose the thread.' My best guess is that your attention is constantly pulled to the larger picture and away from an individual; that the pull is so strong, you cannot focus on an individual unless you simultaneously focus on the crowd?

Regarding creating and adapting: perhaps you are being hyper-self-aware. Humans do not create. We adapt materials and ideas and thereby "create" new concepts and products. Every idea and invention is built on a foundation of previous ideas and inventions. When an extremely 'creative' artist paints a dazzling image and attracts a lot of attention - because their talent seems fresh and new - those artists all have influences from which they have adapted specific techniques or ideas. They're notable because they have successfully adapted. Very Darwinian.

Perhaps you are saying that you wish you could more easily negate the context for an object or an idea to be better enable the melding of it with others? I could see how context might sometimes be "baggage" that slows adaptive thought. But to label yourself as not especially creative seems wrong; you are being too self-critical.

Also: strange conversations have the capability of being the most captivating. Inquisitive minds adore new perspectives.

Austin said...

Your guess is probably about as close as could be related without getting overly complex.

And yeah, I know nothing exists in isolation - we're all standing on the shoulders of giants, in the vernacular. What I mean is, most artistic types seem to have the ability to start with a basic concept or idea and flesh out from there; at least, that's the impression I get working with quite a few. I can't seem to work that way: I have to have a mostly-fleshed-out concept before I can really work on an idea, and of course that's generally self-defeating for "inspirational" creativity. However, if someone has something they've created and fleshed out but need modified/improved/whatever, I'm very very good at that. So, I usually refer to myself as "adaptive" instead of "classically creative".

As an example, I have one friend who comes up with science fiction plots and then asks me to help him figure out the details of how the various devices or physics work. I'm very good at extrapolation but not as good at the initial creative step.

I don't think of it as being too self-critical. I think it's just an accurate assessment of capability. I certainly don't think I'm overly disadvantaged by it: yes, other people can do things I struggle with, but I do things that other people struggle with. It all balances out.

Post a Comment