Lift and tuck

Well, it's been a while.

My lack-of-consistent-posting is mainly due to the new job. [Insert Company Here] (I may abbreviate that as [ICH]) keeps me pretty busy during the day with stuff I actually like doing, especially when compared to the old company where I spent 80% of my time sitting around waiting for the disasters that would occupy the other 20% (but take 100% of my energy). Here, I'm busy doing moderately-difficult things most of the day.

So, whereas at the old company I had time to goof off (and in fact spent a good portion of any day "goofing off", since I was constantly in a hurry-up-and-wait mode), I don't really have that now. Which is good, of course, but also means I generally only get to blog at night.

So, anyway, that's the sob story.

I think I mentioned before that I'm getting back into working out. I've acquired, over the years, a decent dumbell set and a barbell; that means I can to a lot of stuff at home. However, the one thing I always wanted to work on and always found difficult without the proper equipment was my chest. You can only do certain exercises that efficiently target the chest muscles, and many of those require a bench or other equivalent so you can lower the weights down to chest level.

Well, I finally ordered a folding weight bench. It'll collapse down and be stored under a bed or in a closet or something, but it'll still do the job of letting me do real dumbell presses (and even has various inclination/declination settings).

Since a lack of progress in the pectoral region is usually what disuades me from exercising, here's hoping I can really stick with it this time. I'm not looking to get muscle-man buff, but I think more definition than I currently have would be a very good thing.

2 comments:

david said...

dude..
you prolly already know this, but vary your grip when doing chest/bench/barbell exercises... wide-->narrow--> in-between.. ive seen a great deal more definition in my chest from doing the narrow grip thing with moderate weights & alternating weeks of wide grip with heavier weights...

~ cheers...

Austin said...

I assume by "grip" you're referring to using a barbell; since I'm using dumbbells most of the time, that doesn't really apply :)

But yeah, I know the differences. With dumbbell presses, it's more where you center the weights while you're lifting them, but the effect is the same.

On a related note, the bench arrived last night. So, I decided to try and see what my weight will be for presses. In the past, I was using two 25-lb dumbbells; I was still getting in 10 reps on 35 and couldn't go any higher because I couldn't get the weights into position to press them (I normally curl 25ish). So, looks like I need to both work on my curls and get a set of safety racks.

... And yes, I know those weight amounts are nothing to most guys; I've always had like zero upper body strength. Though, apparently, I have a bit more than I thought I had. Still, my chest feels tight-ish today, so apparently I'm doing something right.

Post a Comment