On the night shift

I'm in a small cottage in the middle of a coffee plantation / rainforest on the Big Island of Hawai'i.  It's 9 pm at night.  It's raining (it's a rainforest; it's what they do).

And the chorus is going.

If you've ever listed to one of those "rainforest at night" sleep/white noise tapes, believe me when I say they don't do it justice unless you have the volume turned up loud enough to wake the neighbors.  I've been sleeping extremely well.

My days, not so well.  I mean, my birthday wasn't bad - woke up, spend the morning playing a beta I'm in, then drove across the island to take a lava tour.  That was fun - it's not often you get to have the world's biggest birthday candle.  I didn't try to blow it out though.

But on the way back, I started feeling... off.  Woke up Saturday with a stuffy nose and sore throat.  Sore throat's gone, but still congested, and a 1-mile-each-way walk to a nearby restaurant kicked my ass (whereas I normally walk 4-5 miles for fun).  So, I cancelled my limited plans anyway and just lounged around; tomorrow, I may try driving a bit to see what I can see.  One stop may be the Mauna Kea visitor's center (not going to get to the summit - trouble breathing at sea level doesn't bode well for 15000 feet - but I can at least see the touristy stuff).  I may make it a volcano day and stop at Volcano National Park on the way back (passed it on Friday to/from the lava tour, but didn't have time/energy to stop).  The result would basically be circumnavigating Mauna Loa, but nothing wrong with that.

The place I'm staying at is really a cottage on a coffee plantation.  It's pretty isolated and private; there's a hot tub and lanai where I've been getting some sun (when I'm feeling up to it).  I didn't realize how much of a "rainforest" it was until the first morning I was here, when I realized that the 15 minutes I'd spent outside the night before resulted in quite literally 29 mosquito bites on my legs.  They're mostly healed away now, but I still have the red splotches.

Self-imposed isolation here is actually probably just what I needed.  I mean, Saturday was planned to stay in anyway (the beta I'm in is only open for a couple days a week, and I'm really enjoying it) (hey, it's my vacation, I can spend my time in Hawaii playing video games if I want), but I knew I'd likely have limited socialization while I'm here, and that's fine.  Gives me a recharge after a few months of being emotional support for people.

I'm on this island until Wednesday, anyway, then flying to Maui - where there'll likely be a lot of socializing, or at least the opportunity for it, for four nights.

I think I may have one more trip to the big island, but over to the Hilo side next time.  But that's for later.

2 comments:

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, Austin

Happy (belated) birthday!

I'm glad to hear you've gone on holiday, and you're getting some much-needed relaxation time. It's a shame you've got ill though. This happens fairly frequently to a friend of mine when he starts his holidays - he's a teacher, and we're not sure whether it's the result of a term's stress at work, or a consequence of switching off the adrenaline making him more vulnerable to bugs.

I hope the rest of your holiday goes well.

Take care

Mark

Austin said...

Yeah, felt better today. Managed to photograph 6 volcanoes - though one was cheating since it was Haleakala and barely visible above the clouds. The 6th Big Island volcano, Loihi, is still too little to poke up from under the sea.

I normally don't get sick on vacation; of course, I normally don't get sick, full stop. This one only seemed to last a couple of days, so, not too worried.

I picked up a National Parks passport; I remember having one of these when I was like 13, touring US parks with my parents. Wonder what ever happened to it; I probably lost it or tossed it out at some point. Too bad, I had most of the west, PNW, and midwest covered.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm after the last three stamps for the Big Island - that is, three more national parks (Volcano was today). Then, it's off to Maui on Wednesday. Ironically, getting the Haleakala stamp will be the first time I actually hit the visitor center there - most of the time, I'm going up and coming down before they're open :)

Post a Comment