Speaking the language

So, here's something random:

Yesterday, in an elevator at the office, a colleage asked me, "So, where in London are you from?"

I stared at him blankly for a moment. "London?"

"Yes," he replied, "isn't your accent from London?"

"Uhm, I was born in West Covina. I've lived in L.A. County all my life..."

- Perhaps, here I should interject.

Most parts of the US have distinctive accents: it's pretty easy to tell a southern drawl from the long vowels of Boston, across to Chicago's harshness, past Minnesota (like most things) and it's American/Canadian blend, over to Seattle's lazy blur, and the odd intonations of Southern California.

I have none of those. Apparently, from what I've been told by a few English instructors, I speak with a distinctive mid-Atlantic accent - which is an artificial blend of British English and New England English, and doesn't come from anywhere, but which I probably picked up watching old movies and news broadcasts as a kid. I also speak very quickly, which is something no one else in my family does.

It leads to a lot of confusion. Most people outside of NYC assume I'm from NYC, simply because of the speed. NYCers always think I'm from - well, somewhere else; they never seem to be able to agree (I've actually been asked to slow down by people from NYC - a fact of which I'm oddly proud).

This is the first time I've been accused of being from London, however. To be fair, the person asking is from an Asian country. And, again, the mid-Atlantic accent is a deliberate blend of Britich and American accents. I've just never had anyone make the British connection to it.

I bet my friends from London would be amused.

3 comments:

david said...

london eh? ontario or england?
damn near spit coffee all over my lap top when i read past minnesota (like most things)... lmao!

~ cheers..

Austin said...

England. And a friend who works at the Abbey but is originally from London, who I expected to rail me about it, just stopped, thought a second, and said, "Actually, I can totally see that. You do sound closer to most of the people I grew up with than anyone I've ever met in the states."

Poor Minnesota. It's actually a nice place (I've hung out in the Twin Cities a little). But it's so far north you can't even really call it a "flyover".

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, Austin

I'm not quite from London, but I am amused :-)

This is oddly parallel to something that happened to me once, when I was travelling in the northeastern US: someone asked me if I was Irish. I suspect I have a slightly unusual, synthetic accent, that couldn't be pinned down any closer than southern England, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't have any roots across the water in any direction.

Take care

Mark

Post a Comment