We're havin' a heat wave...

So, we have this big presentation we're supposed to do for the department yesterday. I decide it's probably appropriate to wear a suit.

Of course it ends up being the hottest day in 6 months, to the point of breaking records. Of course.

It's April 1st. I won't pull any jokes; I've never really been into it. I have, of course, helped a few others plan out things: my job, after all, revolves around coming up with ways of getting things done. We'll see how bad the fallout is.

However, first of April also means I'm that much closer to moving: this month I start actively looking. Time to sign up for all those rental companies, dig through magazines, and in general spend a lot of time being disappointed in offerings. I want to have an agreement signed before June if at all possible.

I don't think I mentioned this last time, but I actually did the responsible thing (horror of horrors) and went through my credit reports. Everything seems to be in order. They don't give you an actual score (at least not for free), but running the data through a quick estimating system put me at about 750ish - and that was still with a heavy-ish balance on one card at the time of my last statement. I've paid even more off and will have it completely paid off by the middle of April, so I assume a credit check won't be a problem.

(I'm actually thinking of celebrating a little when I get my card paid off. I'd go on a shopping spree, but that seems a little ironic...)

This weekend should be nice enough to get out of the house and do something. I'd love to go hiking - just have to find a trail to hit. I've got a book of them, so, it's more a matter of picking something and going than anything complex.

Other than that, it's springtime in Los Angeles. The sun is shining, the grass is green, the orange and palm trees sway... er, wait, that's a Christmas song. Anyway, for all you folks getting pounded on by the snow storm today, just remember: it's 70-something in SoCal, and I'll be having lunch in the park. So there. Nyah.

3 comments:

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, Austin

Things seem to be going well, generally: I'm glad to hear it. I hope you have a good weekend - it's sounds like good weather for hiking.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to report that though the UK is not yet enjoying temperatures in the 70s, nor is it smothered in snow. In fact, we're enjoying a fairly typical English springtime of sunshine and showers, with daytime temperatures typically peaking in the 60s.

Take care

Mark

Austin said...

Sounds pretty good Mark. I still need to get to Europe at some point; I haven't yet had a block of vacation time significant enough to make the long flights across and back justifiable. But when I come, it will likely be in spring or summer.

A Wandering Pom said...

Hi there, Austin

Spring is definitely good. It's amazing what a difference it makes to my spirits and energy to have even a few days of decent sunshine after a long winter of grey weather, and to see the spring flowers appearing and trees coming into leaf.

The best time to visit Europe depends quite a lot on where you're going and what you want to do - there's at least as much variation in climate as in an equivalent area of the US. Most of the Mediterranean has a climate quite similar to SoCal; Scandinavia is much more like New England. I can't recommend the British Isles in winter - very short daylight hours and dull grey weather - but the rest of the year is OK.

Please feel free to drop me line if you'd like to discuss ideas for things to do and see, and logistics: I've travelled around a lot of Europe by train. If you come to Britain, you'll be welcome in Cambridge.

Meanwhile, I am thinking of a North American holiday, perhaps as soon as next year (an escape from the Olympics, perhaps?). I'll have enough paid leave to cover it, but I'll need to get agreement from work to take that much holiday in one block.

Take care

Mark

Post a Comment